Mortica

The Shoutbox removed temporarily

Mortica    5

Since switching to the new format, TNG's bandwidth consumption tripled. I've disabled the shoutbox for now to see how much of the bandwidth consumption is from that. I'll probably re-enable it after I get a baseline of the new setup minus the shoutbox.

Nikaa    24

:o Devastated!

Totally understand.. but damn! I hope it can come back, it gave me something to look forward to during breaks/lunch at work.

Vyn    10

Oh man, I was so confused when I logged on and didn't see it!

I hope it comes back, and I hope it's not causing problems for you, Villy.

Necroxis    10

I can understand the necessity to remove it if it's causing this much trouble.

But just wanted to toss my support FOR the Shoutbox with everyone else :D

Nikaa    24

Oh, this makes me so hopeful! I'm glad you're at least considering trying to put the shoutbox back. Although as rough as it is to not have it, I guess I'd rather have no shout box than no TNG because you've capped your bandwith limit for the month.

Still crossing my fingers, though. :)

Keraph    16

I'm with Nikaa on all fronts. I kinda live on the shoutbox during work, it's a great way to connect with the community when I'm not on in-game (I've actually created a fair amount of new contacts in WoW via the chatbox!) and would be devastated to see it gone. At the same time though, I definitely see the bandwith issues, and I'd rather have no shoutbox than no TNG, but I'm glad to hear that may not be the case!

Keraph    16

Nobody likes you. You have no friends on facebook, and the only people who were at your last birthday party was your mom and a couple people she got to attend via a craigslist post.

Nikaa    24

I don't know that IRC would work well from some people's work.. (like mine!) I think a regular chat room might be better.. I wouldn't even mind going to another location off this site, although I have a feeling the reason the shout box was so popular was because it was right there on the page.

I would just hate to see the replacement end up being something that some people couldn't access.

Raziel    0

No one would use it. We've tried that three times already dude.

It's so odd.

I don't know that IRC would work well

I think a regular chat room might be better

....wat...

IRC *is* a regular chat room

Lurile    10

Non-IRC chat she means. The main thing most people dislike about IRC is that they're just a server that you connect to with your own client and it's not the most convenient thing in the world for some people to get on to, when they could just as easily get onto another website.

Keraph    16

Yeah, the biggest draw of the shoutbox was that it was just -there-, nothing had to be done to connect to it and you didn't have to navigate elsewhere. You just pop onto TNG and boom, shoutbox

Keraph    16
So... what if it IS causing the bandwidth problems?

We start a donation drive to up TNG's bandwidth, of course!!

One day without my shoutbox and I'm going through withdrawals, man...