Smoldergear

A Thought on RP

This isn't so much a rant as a "Aww, boo. I'm sad."

I like surprises. A lot. To surprise people, and to be surprised. I also like discoveries. I prefer to come across surprises and discoveries ICly.

So when someone OOCly explains their entire character to me, something in me dies a little bit.

I'd make a sexual analogy here, but I'm not sure if I'd have to put the whole NSFW disclaimer up.

Anywho. My thought. Short and sweet. :)

That's pretty much why Grainia's TRP is almost blank. She is Forsaken and in Infection. That explains enough. The rest you can figure out by speaking with her.

I never fill in character histories, I find it promoted metagaming too much. I do take my time with explaining my appearance though, otherwise we're all variations of the same 5 faces with 15 different hairstyles.

I never fill in character histories, I find it promoted metagaming too much. I do take my time with explaining my appearance though, otherwise we're all variations of the same 5 faces with 15 different hairstyles.

I do like reading the physical descriptions.

Though if it gets to a "this is what I look like naked" explanation, I have a tendency to stop reading.

I'm not opposed to nudity or what-have-you, but I usually can't think of a reason why my character would have seen someone else naked. I've never RP'd a peeping tom.

I go on what's visible, it helps someone visualize my character. Considering I play a bunch of plate melee classes, that probably covers their head and that's it.

I'd only fill in history with things that might be common knowledge. So Cyrass' rank and things would be displayed, but things regarding his past not so much.

I've never RP'd a peeping tom.

*dashes off to the character creation screen*

- - -

Another facet to the Sabachthan Ghant Principle of Role Play™: It's not what you play, but how you play it.

Well my characters are all always naked, I just wear gear when RPing because. Well just kididng, but yeah. I use TRP's history for what would be fairly common knowledge, the sort of thing your character would overhear at the bars, possibly from small editorials in a newspaper, but there is a thing or two I need to explain OOCly to new members of my guild, and that's the current situation where I play Deathix, but /whisper and /g as Udole, because Udole's a human hunter and can stay human in those things. But out in the world on my hunter I"m Deathix who's the clutz who broke his communication crystal.

I also dislike when they tell you their character is beautiful...

And when people ask you IC questions OOC. Like....why do you have that scar? What's the ribbon for?

But yeah, history should be spent on things you could find out from word of mouth or asking around, to lend a hand to making IC connections. (Oh, you're a member of the Argent Dawn? So am I!)

See, I don't get that.

Asking OOC questions to answers you may not get ICly because you're curious a the player should be completely kosher, but turning around and using htose answers is meta gaming.

See, I don't get that.

Asking OOC questions to answers you may not get ICly because you're curious a the player should be completely kosher, but turning around and using htose answers is meta gaming.

^ Agreed.

Loreìn doesn't want to talk about what happened to his arm, but I'm more than happy to explain it OOC, on the understanding that the other RPer won't magically make their character know.

I think you'd actually have to act on it ICly for it to be considered metagaming?

I love reading stories, and adore ICly discovering other character's personalities. But having someone tell me their story out right, without the creative interface, is a lot like hearing about a movie second hand. It usually sounds pretty cool, but it's not as awesome as the "real thing" to me.

Generally, I do not reveal much IC unless asked. In the example, "What happened to Lorein's arm?"

A.) They should ask IC and see what kind of answer/response they get FIRST.

B.) If they are curious after asking IC.. it's easier to judge if they're a douchebag or not after a little RP.. and then you can reveal the story.

That's just an example.. but, that's how I do it. If I have anything that is hidden "IC" I expect IC questions to get it out before resorting directly to OOC.. then you may never find out. I'm not opposed to Ice Breakers.. but, if it's so easily asked IC.. they should ask IC.

my guy just has tattoos along his arm which denote his long history of clan lineage. To those experienced in the Horde, they will tell enough of a story all their own.

My thoughts are that most characters are too fucked up to actually allow good, carefree RP to happen. Too many barriers. Most of them like to be their own islands, and most of times, when you ask something OOC when you could find IC, you are just saying "I don't think the time I'm going to spend IC-ly to find this info is worth it.".

From there on, just act like Alphaeus told ya. It's only metagaming if they use it ICly.