Yatokth

[Moved from TNG 3.0] Cataclysm Story Arc Planning

That's the sort of contribution that actually leads to something resembling a solution, not just more pointless whining. In game / TNG crossover events do a lot for the community! Big in-game RPers like me are able to contribute to the overall story without having to spend a bunch of time writing, forum RPers or people who can't actually make the in game event can still contribute and feel like part of it as well, and people who are part of the in-game but don't know about TNG are drawn into the community here!

I'd love to get some sort of storyline rolling that would allow us to do this, but aside from having a variety of characters/guilds to fill roles, I'm a bit strapped for ideas at current, being at work and SUPPOSEDLY working x3 Instead of just complaining about how terrible things are, let's focus some of that energy into the creativity we're supposedly so good at xD

I think a Post-Cataclysm event like this would be interesting.

I mean, the Cataclysm is probably the closest we're getting to nuclear holocaust in WoW, ever - so that would definitely largely affect most guilds on the server. Perhaps another guild summit, similar to the one before LK, this time without all the OMGTEXT everywhere or meta-gaming? I think planning it now and spreading word around in-game, but strictly OOC for the moment, would allow us to get a good IC turn-out AFTER the Cataclysm releases, and we all have time to level up, then allowing for alot of reactionary RP to what is essentially a world-shattering event.

Were this to happen, I think there would need to be a team of multiple organizers on each side, because large events have been planned before based on in-game stuff: The QD story I can't remember the name of, Prelude by our beloved Swerto, etc, etc... But they all tend to miss their mark because just one person is running it and attempting to STEER the roleplay. Not that these events were bad by any means - but if we're looking for a larger scale than that, I think we should change our organizational paradigm.

Instead, I think more of a team of organizers who find a venue, spread word, and then allow inter-guild, personal RP, and other types of RP springing from cataclysm to shape each characters' perception of the world at that time, then scheduling them to come together for this event - and simply let the characters take the lead in determining some guild politics and other meaningful server roleplay.

Essentially, what we're doing is setting up a place for our characters to simply act as their character would - allowing for authentic, unplanned interaction that feels both spontaneous and meaningful, while still being relevant to all the players at hand since it's been planned.

I mean, the Cataclysm is probably the closest we're getting to nuclear holocaust in WoW, ever - so that would definitely largely affect most guilds on the server. Perhaps another guild summit, similar to the one before LK, this time without all the OMGTEXT everywhere or meta-gaming? I think planning it now and spreading word around in-game, but strictly OOC for the moment, would allow us to get a good IC turn-out AFTER the Cataclysm releases, and we all have time to level up, then allowing for alot of reactionary RP to what is essentially a world-shattering event.

Were this to happen, I think there would need to be a team of multiple organizers on each side, because large events have been planned before based on in-game stuff: The QD story I can't remember the name of, Prelude by our beloved Swerto, etc, etc... But they all tend to miss their mark because just one person is running it and attempting to STEER the roleplay. Not that these events were bad by any means - but if we're looking for a larger scale than that, I think we should change our organizational paradigm.

Instead, I think more of a team of organizers who find a venue, spread word, and then allow inter-guild, personal RP, and other types of RP springing from cataclysm to shape each characters' perception of the world at that time, then scheduling them to come together for this event - and simply let the characters take the lead in determining some guild politics and other meaningful server roleplay.

Essentially, what we're doing is setting up a place for our characters to simply act as their character would - allowing for authentic, unplanned interaction that feels both spontaneous and meaningful, while still being relevant to all the players at hand since it's been planned.

I like this very much.

I think you're all quite right! The most facile and probably most effective method would be to plan a guild summit where all guilds meet at a location and a time, and quite simply discuss the best method of fighting off the sequence of Cataclysmic events. Easy, simple, and if the Alliance comes, we get to kill them, too!

Okay, perhaps I'm lacking a bit in thought here, but all in all some consideration of this matter is required. I'd very much like a faction-wide storyline, I'd say we all would!

Edit: Oh, what Yatokth said. He beat me to it and said it in many more and more effective words.

This sounds like it'd be an amazing way to kick off the expansion while including a majority of RPers in a single storyline, allowing us to play off of each other and our reactions as we progressed in the new Azeroth. It sounds like a daunting task, but that doesn't mean we can't handle it!

This sounds like it'd be an amazing way to kick off the expansion while including a majority of RPers in a single storyline, allowing us to play off of each other and our reactions as we progressed in the new Azeroth. It sounds like a daunting task, but that doesn't mean we can't handle it!

I have an idea I would like to throw out. A perfect way to start the new expansion would be with a cross faction event that would culminate with the perma death of both a guild and a character. Namely The Crimson Watch and Redburn.

These names wont mean much to the any but the old gaurd, but if there is interest let me know. I plan on killing both off anyway, might as well use it to jump start some RP.

See - without planning a storyline, it no longer becomes just one storyline but a myriad of storylines - some guilds might develop rivalries or hatreds or further them from this meeting - some might form alliances or resolve grievances - some might even fight!

It then blossoms into allowing multiple storylines following from the RP, because we're not arbitrarily forcing anyone's character into anything they wouldn't do - in fact, if your guild wouldn't even go to the meeting cause you're too busy doing whatever it is you do, then don't! It's likely that if it's a success, the ripples from the events there will find their way to you at some point and will add to your immersion or roleplay, if only in a small way.

But I digress, I think it's a good compromise between organization and allowing RP to take its course from authentic character interaction. You just need to avoid the problem that plagued Vilmah's event, as awesome as it was, that being the TEXTSPAAAAAAAAAAM - should probably be advertised along with the event itself when the OOC word of mouth spreads.

I have an idea I would like to throw out. A perfect way to start the new expansion would be with a cross faction event that would culminate with the perma death of both a guild and a character. Namely The Crimson Watch and Redburn.

These names wont mean much to the any but the old gaurd, but if there is interest let me know. I plan on killing both off anyway, might as well use it to jump start some RP.

Incorporating a character or guilds' death into RP is always a favorite of mine - it means something. It could definitely be woven in. It would obviously be more or less important to certain characters, but it could certainly be associated with the rather catastrophic death toll of the cataclysm.

I'm afraid some have established that focusing on particular individuals (ICly or OOCly) does too much to detract from everybody else, good sir. However, it could be part of a larger storyline, as Yat said!

To keep this train of thought from derailing so soon, perhaps someone should make the go ahead to open up another thread where we can brain storm ideas for some sort of RP event/events(?), I'm sure you people can put together something fabulous with a few thoughts thrown around.

To keep this train of thought from derailing so soon, perhaps someone should make the go ahead to open up another thread where we can brain storm ideas for some sort of RP event/events(?), I'm sure you people can put together something fabulous with a few thoughts thrown around.

Someone mod-tastic maybe drag the post-cata convo we were talking about into it's on thread on say...RP Help and Networking? We could move forward with that conversation and plan for the future without even more detracting from the original content of this thread.

Someone mod-tastic maybe drag the post-cata convo we were talking about into it's on thread on say...RP Help and Networking? We could move forward with that conversation and plan for the future without even more detracting from the original content of this thread.

Agreed. I think the idea that was originally espoused was a good one, but perhaps an even better one or an improved version will emerge with a bit of time and effort.

Done. If I missed anything, let me know.

I know I would be in for this and there are still a few RP'ers in The Pale Heart that may be interested as well. If something is brewing count me in.

You know I'm ALWAYS around and attending for big things like this, but there is one more thing id like to throw out there in relation to this sort of event.

Ive been keeping this in my head for a few months, but when the time is drawing very close for the expansion to drop, or even on the day itself, I'm going to create a simple sort of 'where were you when the bomb was dropped' thread. For everyone who feels interested, you simply post there with things like what your character was doing when the world exploded, and how you managed to stay alive ( or not...), how you reacted when you saw the world shaking and tearing itself apart, things like that.

Id love some feedback on this, as well as who'd be interested and how this could possibly tie in to the Post-cat getogether.

Ive been keeping this in my head for a few months, but when the time is drawing very close for the expansion to drop, or even on the day itself, I'm going to create a simple sort of 'where were you when the bomb was dropped' thread. For everyone who feels interested, you simply post there with things like what your character was doing when the world exploded, and how you managed to stay alive ( or not...), how you reacted when you saw the world shaking and tearing itself apart, things like that.

That seems like a really good idea! I'm kinda curious about what'll happen to other peoples toons during the cata.

There'll be a "what were you doing when the Cataclysm hit" thread for the Goblins that we've already got in the planning.

But as for this event, my suggestion is this: Plan it, organize it, and get people willing to lead it from both sides. But do not set a date. Once the pre-Cata patch hits, THEN schedule the event and bring all your hard work together. Why? Because then you get the influx of people returning to the game, and the event will be bigger for it.

I know this is specifically a thread for a "Cataclysm" event, but I just posted the details for the Clanmoot event that I've had in mind for a while now. If we can start setting up inter-guild events now, while it's somewhat quiet, it'll be a lot easier to arrange such events later once the x-pac hits and people start flooding back. So, if you want to help out, please sign up.

I'm not sure EXACTLY how the Forsaken invasion of the greater Lordaeron area is timed around the events of the Cataclysm event itself, but assuming the world changes happen all at once at expansion install/patch hit, we were going to take Infection out to perform various "groundwork" missions immediately beforehand. An excursion into Andorhal, clearing the area that becomes the Forsaken base of Scourge threats and preparing it for rebuilding, an attack on Southshore the night before the world changes where we lay waste to everything and set plague charges all the eff over the palce (Yeah, that's right, Infection is taking credit for the destruction of Southshore, big whoop wanna fight about it?) Stuff like that.

Cataclysm is going to be the end of Redburn and The Crimson Watch. I am going to have to kill my main off and my guild (big loss since I am all that is left anyway :P) Back in Vanilla when the mythos for The Crimson Watch was originally designed we chose as our "Crimson Lord" a character in lore we thought would never be used physically in WoW. We were wrong. Our Crimson Lord has always been Deathwing and our main goal as a guild was to sow as much chaos in the world thus enableing his Return. Makes for a nice premise as long as the bastard stays gone.

And since I have spent way to long rp'ing Redburn as a fanatical follower of "The Crimson Lord" to change, Redburn must die. And by proxy The Crimson Watch.

I'm not sure EXACTLY how the Forsaken invasion of the greater Lordaeron area is timed around the events of the Cataclysm event itself, but assuming the world changes happen all at once at expansion install/patch hit, we were going to take Infection out to perform various "groundwork" missions immediately beforehand. An excursion into Andorhal, clearing the area that becomes the Forsaken base of Scourge threats and preparing it for rebuilding, an attack on Southshore the night before the world changes where we lay waste to everything and set plague charges all the eff over the palce (Yeah, that's right, Infection is taking credit for the destruction of Southshore, big whoop wanna fight about it?) Stuff like that.

I think you maaay have misinterpreted what I had in mind. From what I managed to gather, what you're bringing up here is what your group of people will do after the fact, or whatever they allready planned to do militarilly, and not your character's experience with the world being smashed up from the inside. UNLESS I read this all wrong and you were going for "we were out in the feild melting Southshore and then there was a BOOM" thing. If so, sorry, Ive been running sleepless.