Izrail

Role-Play Guides and Add-ons

(Under construction. This will be a resource for RPers, possibly linking to existing RP or writing guides and help-sites, as well as maintaining an up-to-date list of add-ons to enhance or aid RP.)

RP GUIDES

GENERAL ROLE-PLAY GUIDES

There are a lot of role-play guides and how-tos on the internet. This is a list of some of the more relevant ones.

GUIDES TO SERVERS/GUILDS

I encourage members of Twisting Nether to add their own realm reviews and guild advertisements to these threads, which are helpful resources for RPers who seek a server or guild to join.

ADD-ONS

RP DESCRIPTIONS

The standard RP add-on is one that lets you flag yourself as a roleplayer, and input a description of your character and any custom titles or names you like.

• TotalRP - A mod for descriptions, RP items, pet names, and more. Does not use chat channels. Please see Lurile's Guide for more information.
  • FlagRSP2 - Simpler than MyRP; focus is on titles, flags, and descriptions. Includes a searchable database of player descriptions.
  • MyRolePlay - In addition to titles, flags, and descriptions, lets you enter in information such as background, current mood, and so forth.
  • FlagRSP WotLK - An update of the original FlagRSP. Includes a list of friends and enemies.

SPEECH/EMOTES

• Lore - Gives your character the ability to learn and/or speak other languages. Includes fluency and stutter effects.
  • Eloquence - Focuses on cleaning up and organizing communications. Translates poor typing skills into real English, offers miscellaneous display options for chat windows, etc.
  • Emotomania - Customizable emote shortcuts and command aliases.
  • Roleplaying Helper 2 - Allows your character to automatically roleplay to certain events with user-definable phrases and emotes. Also aids in switching to your character's native language.
  • Elephant - Keeps a separate log of any channel. Bit of a memory hog.
  • Chatter - Chatter is a comprehensive, lightweight, mega-configurable chat enhancement addon. Among its many uses is the ability to copy text from a chat frame.

RP "props":

• Arcane Workshop - A custom item/prop/book mod with unlimited space that lets you create props for RP. All items are put in their own inventory and can be given to other people with the mod.

Please suggest other RP mods you use.

Arcane Workshop - It is a custom item/prop/book mod with unlimited space that lets you create props for RP, such as a book (that you can fill up all the way) and use for RP. All items are put in their own invetory and can be given to other people with the mod.

Wondering if anyone knew of a replacement for the Battle Cry addon? It hasn't been updated in quite some time, and I remember it was quite handy back when it worked.

Basically, you could create "sayings" that your character would say/yell when specific events occured (critting, missing, using an abilty, etc).

I can't access the wowinterface site from work, but when I was looking at the site, apparently there is a current, working update of the original FlagRSP there. That's right, the one with the extended friends/enemies list and the ability to hide people's character levels. Some of you old-schoolers might be interested in it.

I can't access the wowinterface site from work, but when I was looking at the site, apparently there is a current, working update of the original FlagRSP there. That's right, the one with the extended friends/enemies list and the ability to hide people's character levels. Some of you old-schoolers might be interested in it.

Son of a gun...! Thanks for pointing that out. Will be added to the master list.

I don't know, but look into RPHelper (2 now :P) but it's an easy way to add in RP during combact without risking death .... of course it's competely random what you say, but it can be completely edited and chance of procing can be increaced. It also lets you speak in you native tougue without you having to do so manually via the chat window ....

It occurs to me that I depend on several mods heavily when it comes to translating RP events into writing. If nothing else, everyone loves having a log to look back on.

Elephant: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/elephant.aspx

Keeps a separate log of each channel type you're in: say, yell, guild, party, raid, custom channels, everything (unless you tell it not to). Saved up until a certain character limit, per channel, on each character, and yes, it persists through exiting the game and coming back. You're able to copy text out of it for export. It's a memory hog though, you've been warned.

Chatter: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/chatter.aspx

Among other very handy things like shortening channel names and giving everyone's names a different color, it makes a "copy" button for each chat window you have, so you can copy-paste the text elsewhere. This way if you have a window for, say, just RP-related channels like /s and /y, you have them flowing together, unlike Elephant. This only works for what's in the channel window though, nothing that's scrolled off or before you last logged in. I believe Chatter also has a logging feature to keep permanent logs, but I'm not familiar with how it works. (This is the Ace2 version of Prat, it has a much better interface.)

SPPECH/EMOTES

For teh fixing. Also, I guess Elephant is a memory hog because I tell it to log so much of so many channels, it can probably be configured to not be. Also also, FlagRSP2's been working fine for me. Assuming you've updated it recently and that's not the problem, trying running with only it on, and if it's still screwed up, might be best to delete (from not only the Addons but all the WTF folders) and reinstall. Save your descs first!

(Perhaps a "Utilities" section for not-directly-RP-related but-still-helpful mods?)

I enjoy an addon called MyEmote. Basically, it lets you make simple, custom emotes and comes with many already written in. For example, you can type /meh and the emote "shrugs one shoulder, appearing largely unconcerned." if you are targeting yourself or "shrugs one shoulder at (whoever you're targeting), appearing largely unconcerned." if you are targeting someone else. I have found it a lot of fun and very useful.

Also, MyRolePlay is no longer being updated directly to Curse. The person who is updating and modifying it has moved it to her personal forums, which can be found here.

MyEmote[/url]. Basically' date=' it lets you make simple, custom emotes and comes with many already written in. For example, you can type /meh and the emote "shrugs one shoulder, appearing largely unconcerned." if you are targeting yourself or "shrugs one shoulder at (whoever you're targeting), appearing largely unconcerned." if you are targeting someone else. I have found it a lot of fun and very useful.[/quote']

There's another mod I use that does the same thing - and has at least the /meh emote in common - called Emotomania. I use it a LOT, to where the downside to Aphraelle being spooky and mysterious in her warlock's cowl and robes is that *pfft* go all her facial expressions. :D

If they fix battlecry... that was my ALL TIME FAVORITE addon.

I could lose everything, XPerl2, Arcane Workshop, MYRP, FLAGRSP2. It didn't matter, all those were nowhere near as fun as battlecry.

Every time I critted with my paladin? "VAE VICTUS!"

There's another mod I use that does the same thing - and has at least the /meh emote in common - called Emotomania. I use it a LOT, to where the downside to Aphraelle being spooky and mysterious in her warlock's cowl and robes is that *pfft* go all her facial expressions. :D

<winks> MyEmote is by the same person who made Emotomania actually. MyEmote is her "second generation" version and she says a much better, easier to customize version.

For those who like to use Lore, but find their old version out of date, or never got it because they stopped packaging dialogues.lua files in the addon, its all a complete package now in the version compatible with Wrath.

The only thing I'm realizing is opposite faction cannot use the other factions language. If any Alliance who are using this version find yourself able to use Orcish...one you can go to hell. Two, we need to get in touch with whoever wrote the program, and ask them if this is a Blizzard intervention, or if they accidentally made it where you can't use Common as Horde, or Orcish as Alliance.

OR! If anyone knows why this is, and I just missed it in the notes, let me know.

<winks> MyEmote is by the same person who made Emotomania actually. MyEmote is her "second generation" version and she says a much better, easier to customize version.

Oh, hey, I'll have to pick that up.

I tried RP helper but it kept giving me an error when i tried to open the GUI in game. :(

Update: Added Emotomania, pitched by Aphraelle in a discussion thread. Still open to more.

Yay! Still, if MyEmote is the new version of Emotomania, might as well use that?

Something to replace Arcane Workshop: Gryphonheart Items

It's got a lot more to play with than Arcane Workshop. You can write script and behavior for your created RP items. Make fake buffs and debuffs for your character through items, potions, books... I haven't gotten to play with it like crazy yet, but there's some serious potential.

ghi1.png