Emmons

Twisting Nether Gazette IRC, for RP and OOC

Emmons    1

So, since there's been expression of interest in it, and Mortica has given her blessing, I have taken the liberty of setting up a few TNG IRC channels for chatting on. IRC can be an overwhelmingly strange place at first, so I've put together a little presentation in hopes of getting a nice succesful channel set up:

IRC AND YOU...AND US TOO

What is IRC?

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It is a series of networks used to RELAY CHAT over the INTERNET. Think of it like an overly complicated series of chat rooms!

In order to connect to an IRC network, one must have an IRC client. I prefer mIRC, as it is very user-friendly and easy to use. You can find it at http://www.mirc.com/ Take the time to download and install it right now before proceeding to the next phase.

Ok, I have mIRC, how does this thing work?

Connecting to an IRC Server

TNG's IRC channels are hosted on MMOIRC. In order to connect to this server, you will first click on options. It's the little hammer and switch icon, the second one on the left of the tool bar. Give yourself a little nickname and enter whatever BS you need to on the screen that pops up, and then mosey on over to SERVERS under the tree labeled CONNECT.

Here you will find a list of many popular IRC servers, navigate to the folder labeled MMOIRC, open it up and select RANDOM SERVER. THen click on SELECT on the right side of the box.

Ok, I'm on, how do I talk to you?

Woah there bucko, we still have a bit of setup to do. First take the time to register your nickname, for security reasons so no one can impersonate you. Do this by typing /msg nickserv register -password- -email- It will email you a passcode to message back to nickserv to verify. From now on whenever you start IRC you will need to identify yourself by typing /msg nickserv identify -password-.

So now that your name is set up, let's visit some channels! You can join a channel by using the /join command. The 3 TNG channels are #TNGChatter, #TNGRP, and #TNGNSFW. So to join TNGChatter, the OOC chat, type /join #TNGChatter and it will open a new window. Now you can chat! For ease of entry, you can set it up to automatically join any channels using the favorite channel list. It's the icon with the heart.

Wtf is up with the name list?

Everyone in the channel is listed on the name list. You can PM them by double clicking on the name. You'll also notice various signs by names. These are as follows: ~ is the owner of a channel. A @ next to a name is called an "Op", essentially a channel moderator. A % is a half-op, essentially a moderator hit with the nerf bat. A + is someone who is voiced. Voicing is a means of channel control, when the channel is muted, people that are voiced can still talk. Ops and Halfops are automatically voiced.

In conclusion

That's about it. Any questions can be posted below or sent via PM. Let's turn these channels into a success! Again, the TNG channels are:

#TNGChatter - OOC Chat

#TNGRP - IC chat

#TNGNSFW - NSFW RP

See you online!

Chikt    2

Might I actually suggest we look into the possibility of using this? I've seen it used on other websites to full capacity and damn well, and it's a bit less complicated than IRC.

Raziel    0

For Trillian users, while the IRC client isn't the most user-friendly thing in the world, it's fairly stable.

Since MMOIRC is not listed, follow this picture to connect through the US. THey have another server in Germany and the Netherlands.

ircib3.png

Server name is: Gadgetzan.MMOIRC.com

Mortica    5

I won't be hosting any IRC or similar chat systems. They hit the server processors pretty heavily and I can't afford to pay more for the hosting here than I am already.

Raziel    0

I was busy this weekend!

Girlfriend tends to go nuts during the weekend for some reason. Also I decided to log into WoW in order to trick or treat everywhere. It got me about 450 gold, however, I never bothered to get a flying mount because I didn't care enough to get one, so I can't go to the Netherstorm to get the last two.

Agnarr    10
I was busy this weekend!

Girlfriend tends to go nuts during the weekend for some reason. Also I decided to log into WoW in order to trick or treat everywhere. It got me about 450 gold, however, I never bothered to get a flying mount because I didn't care enough to get one, so I can't go to the Netherstorm to get the last two.

There's a bridge yanno. Midway on the Eastern Blades Edge border.

nothus    0

No ones in and chanserv deop'd me. There is no topic in the ooc channel so it's not protected (I think, don't remember all my chan/nickserv stuff as I haven't needed to delve into it recently). I've registered my nick (see below) and will hang out and/or link it to a character name for rp if I think of it if rp happens.

I think I'll add it to my idle list, I'm also on freenode.net idling, nick is maaneeack on irc).

Emmons    1

I aplogize for not being on much in the past week or two. My mIRC got past the 30 day trial and I'm too impatient to sit through the 20 or so seconds of not being able to click "continue".

Emmons    1

My Pidgin is way overloaded with crap as it is, and I'm too familiar with mIRC, switching would just be too much of a hassle.

Emmons    1

Yeah, it was set up years ago and abandoned after a few months of no one ever hopping in.

Except like, I think Swerto and Keraph, one of you K-people, maybe once a week.