Rather than derail the horde RP channel thread, I thought I'd move discussion of this here.

A couple of years back, we had a global RP channel alliance side. Rather than it being set in a location as is the common practice, we had it set up as what was commonly referred to as "gnomish talk-boxes" Basically a micronized version of the technology you see in some of the early darkshore quests. It worked better for the people who don't like the idea of channel RP, since they don't have to reconcile being in two places at once.

We have a lot of RP guilds alliance side, but most of them rarely talk to each other, and it gives our side of the RP community a feeling of being small or dying because there's not a lot of large-scale RP aside from the regularl tavern events. I'd like to think this might promote more cross-guild RP and revitalize our cohesiveness a bit.

Would starting this up again be of interest to anyone?

Long ago I had also tossed in the idea of enchanted pins to aid in communication through the Dark Portal...since concerns were raised about inter-dimensional talk boxes x.x

Meh, the gnomes invented death-rays and other strange nonsense. Gnomish mages could always throw some magic into it to make it work across dimensions ^.^

My main concern, though, is still would anybody use it? I don't want to go to the trouble of creating and promoting it if nobody's interested.

My main concern, though, is still would anybody use it? I don't want to go to the trouble of creating and promoting it if nobody's interested.

The exact form of the comms device wouldn't really bother me, call it a gnomebox or use your hearthstone, I don't really care. With Haven we had one that transmitted visuals as well, so you could cross your arms and whatnot. Lightbringer Hold was a specific space with only a single NPC. I think it worked pretty well, but lost a lot of traffic when Sanrin left.

Here's my personal situation - while I'm on most evenings for at least a little while, work is making this time shorter and more scattered. I don't find the time to do more than a little RP or, more likely, get pulled into something by family or friends who don't RP. So... yes, I'd add it to my channels. I probably wouldn't be a huge contributor for the next month or two.

I liked the talkbox aspect just because of some of the things that could happen with it. Syl dropped hers once and part of it came off, so it kept making odd sounds while she was trying to talk until she got it fixed the next day.

I think Barke also mentioned someone throwing one into a lake once when they were annoyed, which I kinda remember. There was an argument going on or something until one person's box made a splash noise and went silent.

Heh, had an idea...

A small gnome stands on a crate outside the gates of Stormwind, speaking through a crudely-constructed megaphone.

"Attention folks, my name is Ziggywig Fizzwhistle, and I have a fascinating device for your amusement!

Announcing RADIO PORTABLE! Or as I call it, RP, for short. A friend of mine has perfected this fabulous device!"

The gnome brandishes a small funny looking device about the size of a human palm.

"This device will allow you to communicate instantaneously with anyone else across Azeroth or the Outlands who possesses one. That's right, you heard me correctly. Fizzwhistle Enterprises is looking to promote a new way of communcation that outstrips the rather simplistic mail service we now use.

For a small fee of just 10 copper pieces, you can pick up one of these devices at any of your local banks. Then you just flip the clearly marked "on" switch and tune the device to channel /RP. (Remember, that's RADIO PORTABLE, a trademark of Fizzwhistle Enterprises.) Then you just start talkin'

Simple as that!

Pick one up right away and give it a try!"

That's a rough draft, the final would have a bit more detail and appropriate nods to the unreliability of gnomish devices, along with an accompanying ((OOC)) clarification.

I like this concept, but I do have one question. How exactly would this work? Would the "talkboxes" be used for chit-chat or something along the lines of tactical information?

I can't really see Ignas carrying one just to talk to other people, but it would come in handy if, say, he spotted a threat of some kind heading towards an Alliance outpost or something.

I guess I could use /leave and /join for something like that, but I'm still curious.

It would be for either, I would hope.

The assumption is people would use it for both based on their character's preference.

If the character doesn't like to chitchat, he/she may just listen in for any useful information, or even join only to relay useful intel.

On the other hand, if he/she gets lonely out questing and wants people to talk to, there will be people of that sort on the other end as well.

A small gnome stands on a crate outside the gates of Stormwind, speaking through a crudely-constructed megaphone.

"Attention folks, my name is Ziggywig Fizzwhistle, and I have a fascinating device for your amusement!

Announcing RADIO PORTABLE! Or as I call it, RP, for short. A friend of mine has perfected this fabulous device!"

The gnome brandishes a small funny looking device about the size of a human palm.

"This device will allow you to communicate instantaneously with anyone else across Azeroth or the Outlands who possesses one. That's right, you heard me correctly. Fizzwhistle Enterprises is looking to promote a new way of communcation that outstrips the rather simplistic mail service we now use.

For a small fee of just 10 copper pieces, you can pick up one of these devices at any of your local banks. Then you just flip the clearly marked "on" switch and tune the device to channel /RP. (Remember, that's RADIO PORTABLE, a trademark of Fizzwhistle Enterprises.) Then you just start talkin'

Simple as that!

Pick one up right away and give it a try!"

I'm not alliance and I have no other business in this thread - but I HAD to drop by and say that this is full of so much win it makes me lol profusely.

I can't really see Ignas carrying one just to talk to other people, but it would come in handy if, say, he spotted a threat of some kind heading towards an Alliance outpost or something.

And therein lies the problem.

Feel free to ignore me since I kinda canceled my WoW account, but I spent three years Ally side on this server and here's the problems I've seen.

1) A lot of people seem to prefer face to face RP. At least that I encountered.

2) A bunch of people who really don't know each other aren't very likely to just start RPing with those they don't know via channel. A lot of attempts that have been made at something like this have started out slowly and then given up for dead before the participants in the channel got to know each other.

I only saw an IC channel work a couple times and that was due to the participants having at least a semblance of a relationship before the channel was formed.

So, I guess my input in the TL;DR form is this:

You have to foster and form the community prior to creating the channel for it to work, in my opinion. The channel will not foster a community by itself alone.

I think the over all idea was so tha guilds could coordinate completely IC. Get people to help defend, attack, set up instance, set up rp, etc. Of course sometimes we did just say hello to people and other forms of small talk.

To sum it up. It was so we could rp without the hassle of having to hang out in the same areas.

I'm sure it could be explained better but thats the best this sleep deprived brain can do. ^_^

Edit to add on Hal's point: Its true. We knew almost everyone in our community. So we all got along and had already been doing RP together for a little while. So I could see that being a problem as well.

I honestly think more of that community has started to unfold from the regular tavern nights. They're getting a bit more publicity and give folks from completely different guilds a space to meet and interact. It's been months that I've known Thal OOC, but have only recently bumped into him IC. I still haven't met Lisbet IC. I'd like to hope that the tavern nights might expand and foster some of the connections in an RP channel, and vice versa.

I don't want to put so much focus on the tavern nights, but as someone no longer in an RP guild it does provide me a space to flex my IC muscles.

Tavern nights are good fun and everyone should go to them.

But it always seems those First Legion people are trying to make Illidan drop his pants so their MTs can use them the next week.

The last one was about an hour's worth of Geofforan, Thalarios, Blastbrew, and Nyaru hitting each other and throwing bottles. It was like the Three Stooges, plus a cat/bear.

To echo what Sifar said. If it weren't for the reasonable success of the tavern nights as of late, I wouldn't have even bothered with this idea. But seeing a bit more cross-guild interaction via that, accompanied by the discussion of the Horde RP channel made me think it might be a good time to try to revive this and make it take off this time.

It will take some effort though, as Hal's points are definitely valid. I just hope to overcome them. At the moment I'm not so much expecting this to become a primary place of RP, but as a way to supplement it and get more cross-guild RP going along with the taverns.

Nothing brings people together like world PvP Syl. If you want this to take flight, organize something that is more than just hanging out in the tavern. Make them work together and achieve something. It'll make worlds of difference.

Good luck to ya.

I honestly think more of that community has started to unfold from the regular tavern nights. They're getting a bit more publicity and give folks from completely different guilds a space to meet and interact. It's been months that I've known Thal OOC, but have only recently bumped into him IC. I still haven't met Lisbet IC. I'd like to hope that the tavern nights might expand and foster some of the connections in an RP channel, and vice versa.

I don't want to put so much focus on the tavern nights, but as someone no longer in an RP guild it does provide me a space to flex my IC muscles.

I see where you're coming from. It's a little bit of the opposite with me, though. I'm in an all-RP guild and I have met many of our members IC and we get along well OOC. However, it tends to be a whole lot of the same, not that it's a bad thing, I just want a little more flavor with my RP Meal.

What I would really like to see is for myself and others to meet other characters with ideas/beliefs/practices/etc. much different from what they might be used to and handle that situation, hence the reason why I support this Channel idea. A bit of social mixing is what we need Alliance-side right now. At least, that's the conclusion I've come to.

Tavern nights are good fun and everyone should go to them.

But it always seems those First Legion people are trying to make Illidan drop his pants so their MTs can use them the next week.

The last one was about an hour's worth of Geofforan, Thalarios, Blastbrew, and Nyaru hitting each other and throwing bottles. It was like the Three Stooges, plus a cat/bear.

No no see, Illidan drops the ugly hat he stole from the bugs at AQ.. or .. NEVER EVER EVERY EVER EVER DOES OMG! *pulls hair out*

Its Kalecgos that we're trying to make drop his pants ^_~

That being said, Lisbet may be making tavern rounds, as well as Mae. WTB a little less raid time and a little more rp time!

I'd have to ditch a channel to join an rp channel, but if anyone is actually insterested in this, I'd come at least try and rp some!

Or, even just drop that extra channel on non-raid nights, Lisbet. :)

My problem? Friday's tavern night starts at my bedtime :( and Monday's starts at my kids' bedtime. :( :( But, don't change anything for me - I promise to try.

Alright. Sounds like we've got some interest. I know I'd love it, and I'm fairly certain I can speak for at least a half-dozen of my guildmates. So the question is, what exactly do we want it to be? I wasn't around for Lightbringer Hold, although I very much liked what I read. It'd be nice to have something consistent that ISN'T tavern RP, which, as much fun as it can be, gets a little dull. The PvP/PvE opportunities for consistent IC interaction are pretty exciting, too. It's getting lonely in the battlegrounds, and I can't remember the last time someone hunted with me in Ashenvale!