PDA

View Full Version : Flying Mount Combat

Katanoki
02-09-2010, 10:40 AM
After all the talk about flying mounts killing PvP, I wondered why mounted combat was still disabled. When I thought about it, no strong reasons came to mind. Thus, I posted a suggestion thread here (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=23041986006&sid=1), and I was wondering if I could drum up some support, in hopes of getting something to this effect implemented in Cataclysm.

Any thoughts? Anything I should add to the thread?

Urivial
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Flying combat isnt disabled! Air drops ftw! :D

Katanoki
02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
>.> Well, if you put it that way. But some people aren't priviledged enough to have Slow Fall, Levitate, or a parachute.

Urivial
02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Or bubble! :D ODST helljumps ftw!

EDIT: Also, everyone has the ability to get a parachute cloak. theres a BC vendor who sells one. So no one should complain.

Derathenus
02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
I think they should enable people to use their actual abilities while mounted. Maybe modified to work while moving.

My only question is..what about melee classes? I guess it is the difference between Cavalry Archers and Mounted Knights in historical medieval warfare.

Urivial
02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Well you can make it so you can use abilities when your on your flying mount... it just dismounts you straight after... fairly certain thats NOT what you meant of course but eh ;P

Kained
02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
If blizzard makes another mounted combat system like jousting again for pvp I fucking quit.

It's lame.

Derathenus
02-09-2010, 01:02 PM
That isn't what I think anyone was talking about Kain... :)

And yes..I HATE jousting too..I avoid that daily if I can help it....

What I think what the good mage ment, and what I mean..is that you should be able to use your own class abilities while mounted. People would have to defend themselves in the air, or really escape the person chasing them. No more hiding in the sky..afk.

Skaadvik
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
It puts melee classes at a pretty distinct disadvantage, especially if they're caught on the ground. Hunter trains in on you, starts shooting your shit, and since you're in combat all you can do is hide.

Derathenus
02-09-2010, 03:49 PM
That is the only problem I think Skaad. Its also probably why it isn't possible.

Maybe if flying mounts had similiar abilities to the recon fighter/bomber in the daily quest in Icecrown, real aerial dogfights could work. Maybe engineers could play a role with this sort of system. It would play and feel similar to the wing commander/X-wing games, and for it to work the vehicles would have to be in perceptual fast motion.

Skaadvik
02-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I really dislike vehicle combat in WoW.

Urivial
02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I like how they cant really kill people not in vehicles if you know how to stay out of their way. I also like destroying Alliance siege zergs in WG ;P

Imirak
02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Several changes would be required:

1) allow players to mount while in combat (interruptable)

2) significant hit penalty for ranged mounted attacks, especially for flying (you think firing arrows on a horse takes skill? a griffon would be a nightmare). Melee attacks from mounts would not suffer from this penalty.

3) no hit penalty fpr unmounted attacks *at* mounted targets (obvious, but stated for emphasis)

4) movement restrictions still apply for any attacks with a cast time (i.e. stop moving to use your non-instant attacks)

Ackley
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
If blizzard makes another mounted combat system like jousting again for pvp I fucking quit.

It's lame.

Agreed. Bring back dismounting so we players can hit you, knock you to the ground then fight fairly.

Just add some sort of way for Melee to dismount flyers.

Katanoki
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah, what I meant was class abilities for use during mounted combat. But I didn't consider melee classes, and what varying speeds and heights would do to them.

Maybe scaling range while in flight, and a set flight speet while in combat.

That or they could give ground units the ability to bring down flying units, and avoid recoding things altogether. [OR Bevros could beat me to the punch.]

Ryoku
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
It's simple.

- Stackable [One-Use Parachute]s

- [Ol' Pap's Big Ass Dragon Harpoon]

PvP.

Cyrass
02-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Agreed. Bring back dismounting so we players can hit you, knock you to the ground then fight fairly.

Just add some sort of way for Melee to dismount flyers.

Nets that don't require tailoring.

It's how you got flyers to the ground in WC3, should also work in WoW.

Ackley
02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Nets that don't require tailoring.

It's how you got flyers to the ground in WC3, should also work in WoW.

Great idea, or like for warriors a special hammer to throw, Death Knights just get a special Death Grip, Paladins could also get a skill like hammer of wrath or justice that only dismounts.

Or just nets :D

Hojo
02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
After all the talk about flying mounts killing PvP, I wondered why mounted combat was still disabled. When I thought about it, no strong reasons came to mind. Thus, I posted a suggestion thread here (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=23041986006&sid=1), and I was wondering if I could drum up some support, in hopes of getting something to this effect implemented in Cataclysm.

Any thoughts? Anything I should add to the thread?

Look at the cover box of Wotlk ! You shall see that we should already have some flying pvp stuff.