PDA

View Full Version : Discp. Priest PvP vs. PvE gear

Talarian
10-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Any advice on Discipline Priest PvP vs. PvE gear? Or perhaps a website that already has stocked that information? What sorts of stats are best to try and keep high?

I gather that intellect is massively important because it increases both mana points and spell damage/healing. Many items I run across, though, favor either intellect/spirit or critical chance, typically at the exclusion of the other statistic(s). I'm wondering if there is really that much difference between PvP and PvE gear for a priest.

Thanks in advance for any advice. You all are pretty cool.

Rand_Shea
10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I specced for Resilience and stamina for my priest's pvp set, because chances were the battles never lasted long enough for mana regen to matter. If they did, shadowfiend was often enough to recoup it.

Int is probably the third stat to stack up on, because it both increases mana pool and crit chance. A high healing crit often took an ally from near death to near full, and usually screwed up any "instant win" combos opponents were using... especially with penance. Penance crits are sexy.

For PvE... Spirit is the way to go if you spec into the talent of spirit upping +healing. But most PvE Disc healers go for int from what I've noticed.

Ryoku
10-09-2009, 05:44 PM
1k resil and a chunk o' stamina is a good center point for any healer in my opinion.

PvE gear works for DPSers and stuff, but in my opinion a healer should always keep resilience and their own survival as a priority over stuff like mana regen and healing.

Spirit ain't gonna do shit if you get murdered in a cheap shot.

EDIT: PvP gear should in it's own have sufficient mana regen / spirit for you to keep yourself good with shadowfiend in case you come across an outlast match.

Kelven
10-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Check out the Raiding As A Priest (http://www.wow-tng.org/showthread.php?t=16672) thread for some info.

General guidelines off the top of my head. I am not the bestest Disc priest ever, so some of the more hardcore disc priests here may tell you to ignore me. We will all be educated by that.

I am awful in PvP, but here's my vague advice - resil first, over everything. You are target #1 in both arenas and world PvP. Casting Penance in a battleground is akin to putting fifty-foot letters of fire in the sky that read "KILL THE DISC PRIEST" and then a big arrow pointing at you. So you will get a lot of abuse. And you usually get ganked in arenas too. After that, it's a toss-up between the +crit pvp set and the +haste set. Crit is nice because it makes what few heals you get to cast do more. Haste is nice because you get more heals off in the few seconds when nobody is stunning or CCing you.

The +haste set comes with a lot of Spirit, which is not so useful in PvP, so I usually opt for the +crit set with a few off pieces with haste on them.

If you find you're running low on mana in PvP, push +Int a bit. A lot of abilities restore % max mana, so +int improves that, plus you also gain crit out of it. And you love crits.

A PvE set usually pushes bulk healing and mana endurance at the cost of survivability - in PvP your priorities are survival first, healing second, and endurance last. Your gear choices should change to match.

Blizzard has made this pretty easy, though - PvP gear comes from vendors, there aren't a whole lot of choices, just grab a set of whatever and cram it onto your character sheet before charging into battle.

Oh, and a wise person taught me that you'll want one (and probably only one) +spell penetration gem somewhere on your person for PvP. +Shadow resist buffs are very common and a lot of your non-healy duties use shadow (Psychic Scream, mana burn, SW: Pain, etc).

Talarian
10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Hmm, resilience is new to me; I'm only level 43. All I see are the basic six stat categories and that is what I was referring to. I clearly have some learning to do.

Talarian
10-09-2009, 08:09 PM
What say you all about this: http://www.wowwiki.com/Priest_builds#Discipline_builds

Okhu
10-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Hmm, resilience is new to me; I'm only level 43. All I see are the basic six stat categories and that is what I was referring to. I clearly have some learning to do.

We're talking about 80 PvP.

In lower brackets stamina is still a really good idea.

Draekon
10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I her Disco Priests speccing into the YCMA talent and getting the T9 Construction Worker of Triumph set are neigh unstoppable.

But, seriously,

I see most Disc Priests in a mix of PvE and Resil gear when I fight them in Arenas in my 2s and 3s teams.